Scribblesaurus Me has MOVED!

I took the leap and moved over to Wordpress. You can find all of my archived content from this Blogger blog at the new site as well as all of my new content.

Please come on over to Scribblesaurus and join up via email, facebook or Linky Followers.

I look forward to seeing you there!
Follow Scribblesaurus on Facebook and

Sunday, November 6, 2011

How I Juice Fast

Disclaimer:  I am not a medical or nutrition expert. This post contains my experiences on my own personal juice fast. Consult your own experts. There are a lot of resources out there for directions and advice on how to go about completing a juice fast. I'll include a few good links that I used at the bottom of this post.


Juice fasting. Doesn't sound too hard right? Well - that's both right and wrong. It really depends on your motivation - why are you doing this? - and your own personal will power. I want to stress that you can't go into a fast half-hearted and only partially committed. If it's not something that you are stoked to do then you will likely fail. Whatever your reasons, make sure they are good ones that will get you through the first rough days.

I'm not going to write a whole how-to guide but here are my personal rules of thumb:

  1. Make your own juice. Buy a good juicer if you are really serious or borrow one from someone. We use a Breville.
  2. Use organic produce as much as possible.
  3. Include spinach &/or kale with every juice you make.
  4. If your juice tastes like shit, try adding a carrot.
  5. Use a ratio of 5:2 - 5 vegetables for every 2 fruit. Keeps the natural sugars lower.
  6. Apples, beets and carrots make very sweet juice.
  7. If you have a sensitive stomach, avoid using a lot of citrus. I avoid grapefruit altogether.
  8. You cannot juice avocados and bananas.
  9. You cannot juice an In & Out Burger.
  10. No caffeine, sugar, wheat or anything solid.  Just juice, veggie broth, water and herbal teas.
  11. Set a realistic goal. Don't pick 40 days if you've never fasted before. Start with 3 or 5 or maybe 10.
  12. 'They' say you will lose an average of 1 pound per day of fasting. Do what feels right, everyone is different. I did not lose a pound a day over my 40 day fast. I lost 28.8 and gained about 3 pounds back in the month and a half since.
So you ready to juice? I will be starting a 10 day fast tomorrow and will post a bit of an update about what I did and how I felt at the end of each day. It will be easier for anyone reading this to follow along in smaller incremental steps than to read once huge TLDR post right now.

Wish me luck!

Resources:
How to break a juice fast. This site has some really great recipes too.
Ketosis explained. What your body does when you fast.


No comments:

Post a Comment