Scribblesaurus Me has MOVED!

I took the leap and moved over to Wordpress. You can find all of my archived content from this Blogger blog at the new site as well as all of my new content.

Please come on over to Scribblesaurus and join up via email, facebook or Linky Followers.

I look forward to seeing you there!
Follow Scribblesaurus on Facebook and

Friday, November 18, 2011

Twihards wield real power

In a totally expected shocking turn of events, the Tomatometer has nearly imploded.

Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part I  pushed out an opening night rating on review site Rotten Tomatoes with a huge divide between critics and audience.  The critics rated the newest installment in the Twilight Saga (based on the books by Stephenie Meyer) at a terribad 27% while the audience gave it a whopping 92%*.

Pundits had a heyday joking about the Twihard encampment possibly getting more coverage and better participation than OWS and about all the potential cougar sightings. With that kind of fan commitment a movie is going to do well at the box office regardless of what its critics say.

Personally, I enjoyed the books. Yes, they were childish and angst-y but they were simple and I had a newborn baby, creating the perfect storm for a grown woman to enjoy a little bubblegum reading. In fact it was the Breaking Dawn book that jumped the shark for me. I mean 'Renesmee'? Good grief.

So what exactly are these critics saying?  Well, a lot. Here is a sample from each side.
By any normal standard, this is a terrible movie, with stilted dialogue and leaden pacing -- every 15 minutes or so, the action stops for a musical montage involving slow-motion handsomeness. But the Twilight saga stopped being normal a long time ago. - Slate
If you love the books, you'll love the movie. This one was the closest to the book of any so far but it isn't for the faint at heart. There were times I squirmed in my seat, laughed a bit and even teared up in a couple of spots. The best performances in the saga so far. Bill Condon did not let us down ... - Susan A
I don't think I'll bother going to the theater to see this one. Maybe I'll check it out when it is released to Netflix. Thanks morbid curiosity, thanks.

*at time of posting

No comments:

Post a Comment