Scribblesaurus Me has MOVED!

I took the leap and moved over to Wordpress. You can find all of my archived content from this Blogger blog at the new site as well as all of my new content.

Please come on over to Scribblesaurus and join up via email, facebook or Linky Followers.

I look forward to seeing you there!
Follow Scribblesaurus on Facebook and

Saturday, December 3, 2011

December NaBloPoMo - Just Get Writing




I've decided to participate in the December NaBloPoMo.




What is NaBloPoMo you ask? It stands for National Blog Posting Month. Bloggers commit to completing and publishing at least one post every day for the entire month. This is supposed to help improve writing skills and create the habit of writing every day.

I'm participating through BlogHer. The theme for December is, not surprisingly, 'Gifts' and BlogHer provides writing prompts on each week day. Bloggers are expected to do free writing on the weekends. The prompts are not a must, they are just there for inspiration for those who may need it. We are welcome to follow our own paths all month if we choose.

If you are like me and your head is constantly filled with random thoughts and ideas that you want to get on your virtual paper or rant from your internet soapbox, then these prompts aren't really necessary.

Or are they?

It's a lot easier to write about the things you want to write about. I'm going to say 'write about' just one more time for good measure. Anyways - as I was saying - we all have a multitude of topics that are pertinent to our lives that provide heaps of material for a short blog post. Heck - if nothing else we just post a picture of our kid or dog or a pretty tree, am I right?

It's harder to write on a topic that is suggested to you by someone else. At least for me it is. That's why for a few days every week I am going to force myself to follow the prompts. I believe that this will hone my skills as a writer and force me to put more thought and consideration into my subject matter. Maybe even dig a little deeper into myself - an exercise that isn't always pleasant for me.

I share too much. I don't hide a lot. I'm not afraid to be honest. But there are some parts of me that I keep guarded. I intend to dig into these areas and use NaBloPoMo as an excuse to probe into the uncharted territories of me.

So buckle up and let's see how this plays out! Oh, and December 3?  Nailed it!  

Note: If you are a reader but not (yet) a blogger or writer, why not tag along in a private journal of your own? Writing down your thoughts every morning is amazingly therapeutic - and who doesn't need a little of that during a crazy holiday month like December? 

Are you participating in NaBloPoMo? Have you completed (or not) one prior to this month? How did it go? Do you think you improved as a writer &/or blogger?

No comments:

Post a Comment